We know that taking time out to get a massage on a regular basis helps decrease stress and improve our health, but in-between, here are a few tips to help you manage stress.
1. Start a list. Instead of feeling overwhelmed by the activities of the holidays, take control. Pull out a calendar and make a list of what you need to accomplish. Then, prioritize your list in order of importance. Seeing your list shrink will help you feel empowered.
2. Maintain a healthy routine. Don’t deviate too much from your normal diet and workout routine. Regular exercise helps maintain your energy level during a busy holiday schedule. While overindulging in holiday sweets and alcohol can impact the body’s stress reaction, be sure to eat right and get enough sleep.
3. Don’t overextend yourself. Monitor how much you agree to do during the holidays. Allow yourself to say “no” once in a while. Doing more than you have the time or energy for adds to your holiday stress level. Look for short cuts such as online shopping or picking up premade meat and veggie trays to serve at parties.
4. Take time for yourself. Whether it is taking a nice hot soak in a bathtub, watching the snow fall or just closing your eyes and breathing in through your belly, do whatever you can to take a “moment” for yourself.
5. Remember the holiday spirit. When it is all said and done, no one will remember that the turkey was a little dry, that the sweater didn't fit, or that you were a few minutes late for rehearsal. What do they remember? The precious moments with family and friends.